The Baby Boomer generation is starting to retire, which means more and more are looking at senior living communities. Even the youngest Boomers are shopping for senior housing—for their parents! This is a demographic shift we can’t afford to ignore when it’s time to plan the menu. Are you seeing more and more Boomers touring your community with an eye toward the best situation for their Mom and Dad? They’re likely scrutinizing the nutritional value of your daily fare. Boomers are a well-informed generation and very concerned about lifestyle issues. It’s time to add menu choices designed to satisfy their more sophisticated palates.
Show you care about setting higher standards in the dining room by incorporating some of these healthful, trending foods into your menu:
- Foods high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Wild Salmon, tuna, sardines, walnuts, flax seeds, and chia seeds are important for good health because they supply essential fatty acids the body does not produce on its own.
- Healthy plant oils: Extra-virgin olive oil, avocados, almond butter—but don’t overdo any oils because they are high in calories.
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables: Kale, Swiss chard, collard greens are full of vitamins and excellent in a salad, steamed or sautéed.
- Garlic: Roasted, sautéed or minced, garlic is as versatile to cook with as it is nutritious.
- Beans and other legumes: All types of beans, peas, lentils, and soy nuts are excellent, healthy choices and enjoying a surge in popularity.
- Antioxidants: Blueberries, papaya, cherries, acai, pomegranates and other deeply colored fruits are loaded with health and anti-aging benefits.
- Potassium-rich foods: Tomatoes, beans, bananas, potatoes, prunes raisins and more, oh my!
- Magnesium-rich foods: Barley, cornmeal, and other whole grains plus green leafy vegetables, nuts and, yes, beans.
- Greek yogurt: An excellent high-protein, high-calcium snack, especially with fruit
Learn more about satisfying Boomers in your community in Hospitality for Boomers: How to attract residents, retain staff, and maximize profitability.